Friday, August 15, 2008

Nobody Warned Me

Dear Dads who have gone before me:

I know we are all in this club together. I know we understand each other. But I believe we have a communication problem.

  • No fellow dad warned me what life would be like the first day of kindergarten.
  • No fellow dad warned me that I was suppose to help with breakfast.
  • No fellow dad warned me that my wife would set higher expectations on me this day.
  • No fellow dad warned me that mom emotions would be running a little higher.
  • No fellow dad warned me that this is a BIG DAY for mom who is sending her baby off to school for the first time.
  • No fellow dad warned me that I need to try to understand all the inner emotions and feelings of mom who realizes her first child is old enough for school.
  • No fellow dad warned me that the first day of kindergarten is considered a huge milestone that requires a dad to be at his best.
  • No fellow dad warned me this is NOT the day to sleep in.
All in all I think I got a C+ (but maybe Joy is the best to ask).

It's time to share these expectations, fellas.
May future first-day-of-kindergarten-dads read this and learn from my inexperience.
Dads Unite!


By the way, have a great day, son. I'm proud of you!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

No fellow dad warned me this is NOT the day to sleep in.

Someone REALLY should have let you in on this one!!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Don't forget that you have to be there when he gets *home* from his first day of Kindergarten too.

And these same rules will apply to the first day of school until the second year of middle school - where you'll get two years off and then have to step up and remember it all for the first day of high school.

Hope he has a great first day of school!

Aaron B. Allison said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up
-wk

Anonymous said...

Travis, my apologies for not letting you in on our well guarded secret. It's kind of a rite of fatherhood.

BTW-it's just the beginning.

Matt said...

Thank you, thank you and thank you. I'll check in on Wednesday with my grade.

He looks great! Cool kid...

Jason Davis said...

I am sorry to see a fellow father/husband go through this. If I would have known ahead of time I could have warned you, but,

1) You wouldnt have understood. No dad realizes that these emotions exist until they experience their wives going through it. You would just think other dads had crazy wives.

2) If you did understand, and you tried to find your way out of it, well I dont really want to know what the outcome would be. Notice no fathers are speaking up about getting around it. Its simply because they didnt survive!

Nozas said...

Such a timely warning. I was already on the path of a D grade when Nichole quickly told me I had to read your post before tomorrow. I am so thankful that you spared me sleeping on the couch tonight. I hope I don't fail tomorrow. :-)