Friday, October 17, 2008

Sharing thoughts to the 60s Plus group

I had the honor as one of my first Lead Pastor opportunities to share some thoughts with the 60s Plus group during a fall bonfire.

Some of my thoughts:
1. I know you must be thinking, "What will it be like to have a 33-year-old pastor?"
- I hope you guys are as excited as Joy and I are. We are looking forward to a great journey.

2. I shared Hebrews 13:1-8 and explained how Jesus and His message is the same yesterday, today and forever.

3. Speaking of "the same yesterday..."
I shared how they and their generation helped to get us where we are today as a church. All the years of investment are amazing, and humbling. I appreciate everything they have done and will continue to do to shape us into better Jesus followers.

4. Speaking of "Jesus is the same today..."
I explained that all buildings have load-bearing walls. Christianity, too, has load-bearing walls. There are some things that should not, will not, and cannot be changed. Jesus is the only way to heaven. He is our salvation. He is our healer. He is returning. The Bible is true and inspired. The Great Commission is ours to carry out. These are our load-bearing walls.

5. Speaking of the Jesus for our future...
We live in changing times. What makes sense today may not have been imagined 40 years ago. Church and culture is constantly changing. We need to clearly communicate to today's unchurched culture. ...And it may sound different than how it was communicated 40 years ago.

All the songs, styles, and methods may not make sense to the 60s Plus generation, but they will to their grandchildren. The incredible ideas of yesterday were amazing back then. And today and tomorrow we will have more amazing methods to reach the lost.

6. Let's join together as we pass along our faith to this generation and the ones to come.

I prayed for them. They prayed for us!
It was a great night with amazing people.

0 comments: