Monday, November 24, 2008

Where the seeds were planted

Last night was somewhat of a surreal speaking moment.

I spoke from the same stage that I was a lead role in a children's church play in the 1980s, as well as the same church that I was water baptized in in the early 1980s.

First Baptist Church was the church I grew up in. All my toddler years and early elementary years took place in this church. It seems like a blur, but I have a few fond memories in my heart.

- Kids Choir
- Celebrating the 1985 bears at a church party.
- Lighting candles at the beginning of Sunday service.
- Being Baptized
- Playing with a Flinstones toy phone. (The one with a horn as the receiver.)
- "Aiming" at bugs in the men's urinal. *debated on taking this out...but what a fun memory that no one (until now) really knew about.

Last night, 20 years after really being involved in that church, I had the humbling opportunity to speak on the same stage at the community Thanksgiving service. Someone looked at me before service and said, "You look tense." I was.

Not sure why. I've spoke in front of thousands in Latin America, I spoke in front of hundreds in school assemblies here in town, have done weddings, funerals, and even taught a class on writing research papers to 6th graders in the public school system.

But coming back to the roots was a little intimidating. And still, as I type, I'm not sure why. I guess the magnitude of realizing God's hand in my life can get a little overwhelming.

All I know, is that I'm thankful for a church that invested in me. I'm thankful for parents who got me involved in the ministry there. I'm thankful for the teachers and volunteers that had no idea they were teaching a Bible story to someone who would become a pastor 23 years later.

I look back at the seeds that were planted in my life and become humbled and in awe of God's plan for people's lives.

May we continue to plant seeds. Someday those little, chubby trouble makers grow up. And some of them might just be leading life-giving churches.

It's worth the investment.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

what an awesome thought