Wednesday, April 15, 2009

SERVE

I challenged our church that we will aggressively serve people.
It needs to be a dominant part of our church's DNA.

One of the new opportunities we are embarking on as a church is getting involved in our local homeless shelter. To be honest, this is more gutsy than one might think.

Some people don't want a homeless shelter in our community. Some say it brings more problems than it solves problems. Some say it enables people to just live off of a system. Some say "not in my backyard."

I say love 'em.

We will cook, serve, and join them in a home-cooked meal at least once a month for starters to create conversations, build relationships, and pray for their lives.

Today I read this:

Malachi 3:5 (The Message)
5"Yes, I'm on my way to visit you with Judgment. I'll present compelling evidence against sorcerers, adulterers, liars, those who exploit workers, those who take advantage of widows and orphans, those who are inhospitable to the homeless—anyone and everyone who doesn't honor me." A Message from God-of-the-Angel-Armies.


I know we are doing the right thing. And we can't stop there.

We will aggressively serve people.

Check out this multi-media presentation from our local paper on the homeless shelter.

3 comments:

WDG said...

You're not the only ones!

http://www.churchsolutionsmag.com/hotnews/church-homeless-shelter-draws-ire.html

Fight the good fight. :)

Rebekah said...

Good on ya, friend! We've started a food pantry in the past year. We have some who don't understand why we're "letting people live off the system." Doesn't stop us from trying to help them with the hopes that maybe they'll see Jesus in us. Excited to hear about the things going on in Mattoon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Travis, great name by the way! What could be better than a Spencer. It is pretty amazing that you are talking about helping out the homeless shelter. It has been bugging me to death for not helping out more myself in this area. That is the sole reason I put together this little Heartforthepoor website. As time moves forward I will continue to monetize and every penny realized(even if it is just a penny)will go towards the shelters or poor in some way. God Bless and God Bless all the Spencers!