Thursday, June 18, 2009

No Power

The power went out on my side of town this morning as a thunderstorm rolled through East Central Illinois.

It was inconvenient ...for about 45 minutes.
I had to get a flashlight to find my clothes in the basement.
I wondered if I was going to shave today with my electric shaver.
My wireless router didn't work.
And my water and ice cube dispenser didn't work on the door of my fridge.

Then it happened.....

I had a flashback of nine days ago.

Last Tuesday I was in the village of Ireland just outside of San Jeronimo, Honduras.
No one in the village has electricity.

Here's an inside look at a humble kitchen with no electricity, no running water, and no sewage system. Just a table, some containers for transporting water, and wood stacked in the corner for cooking and light.


We used a generator to power a sound system for a bunch of kids' activities, including an evening movie presentation of GodMan on a large 10-foot screen.

I have lived a life blessed with more than enough.
Yet, I get irritated when my power temporarily goes off because of a storm.

I need to learn to be appreciative of what I have.
I need to learn to thank God for my blessed life.
And I need to learn from my new friends in the village of Ireland that joy comes from much more than a power outlet.


I continue to ponder all the lessons learned on my trip to Honduras.

0 comments: