Friday, April 4, 2008

August Rush

Are you Listening?


This is a story of an orphan in search of his parents. But it's much deeper than that. It's about "sensing" something unseen and full of mysteries that could help reunite them.

For the orphan boy, it's music. He hears music in everything. And he believes the music will reconnect him to his parents. This movie is centered around music. And it's full of good music, too.

The boy hears music when others don't. He asks this mysterious street guy (Robin Williams) why others don't hear it.

His reply, "They're not listening for it."

This opens the door to great spiritual conversation after watching the movie. Not to over-spiritualize a movie (I'm not a huge fan of that) but we have to ask ourself if God speaks to us in his mysterious way. Are we listening and tuning in to hear Him.

A lot of people made fun of August Rush in the movie for "hearing" music. August didn't care. He just followed what he heard.

Are we listening to the mysterious? The supernatural unseen?
Do we believe we can connect in an unseen way?


August Rush trailer {video embed}

6 comments:

Blake Leitch said...

Good movie but not a huge fan of movies that the entire time I'm watching them i can predict what happens next.

travis spencer said...

Blake and Jackie:
you are so right. This is not a movie that even makes you WONDER how it will turn out. the trailer doesn't even leave it hanging. It's a predictable feel-good movie.

Elgin Combs said...

This is definately my favorite movie right now. I say "right now", because I always change my mind. But yeah, it's predictable. I think it's supposed to be. I felt great after watching it. I felt like the way I feel about music had somehow been validated. And of course, it's always nice to see an orphan and parents reunite in central park. :)

jcjdoss said...

Everyone's right, predictable. I enjoyed watching him play the guitar.

Anonymous said...

Good story; I just didn't think it was executed very well. I do like the spiritual connections you made with it, though, so I appreciate it a little more now.

Anonymous said...

Thought I would say hello since we're twitter friends. I loved August Rush, also...you drew some great conclusions from it! Great post!