Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Parents giving the OK for alcohol at parties

East-Central Illinois survey results indicate two out of five teens (40.9%) have been to a party at a friend’s house where alcohol was served with parents’ knowledge or consent. One in six (17.6%) said his or her own parents allowed a party to include alcohol at their family’s home.

Listen...FORTY PERCENT of our local teens have been to parties where alcohol was served with parents' permission. Why is this happening?

It's time for parents to help their children make better choices. It's time for parents to know what is happening on the weekends. Its time for parents to talk to other parents about turning this statistic around.

A local coalition, Body Electric, will be revealing these statistics early in 2009. I'm working on writing out some of the findings for their report. These local statistics are quite eye-opening.
Every parent needs a copy of this report when it is released in 2009.

3 comments:

aarondl said...

Not trying to condone the actions of these parents here. But if the parents are resigned to the fact their teenages are going to drink, maybe they feel it better for them to drink under some kind of supervision rather than out in the country somewhere when nobody knows where they at.

travis spencer said...

Aaron,

Yeah that was in the research I read, too.

But, most of these guys then drive home after the party. So, host a party at your house...then send everyone home?

And, it's illegal. Parents can get in big trouble for this.

And, health studies show this is a bad time to be drinking because of the developmental time of their brain. That what my research said. I'm no Dr.

aarondl said...

Yeah, it's absolutely bad parenting and illegal. Letting them drive home is a joke. Like I said, not condoning the activity and I would give any parent I knew an earful about it, then prosecute them myself in a few years.

Good topic to bring up though

Fun side note, I read this post during my Criminal Law class where we were talking about about the effect of children's backgrounds on future criminal activity. Well, some of us were talking about that, I was commenting on blogs.