Monday, June 9, 2008

Priorities

I've been asking God to help me prioritize the responsibility of leading an entire church.
Here's what has been knocking on my heart.

Three Priorities of Church Leadership

1. Prayer
We need to pray more. Before making decisions, strategizing over the future, dreaming up innovative concepts and ideas, designing attractive stuff, or simply doing ministry--we must connect to God and tap into the source of all good things.

John 15:5 “Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

2. People
We need to focus on people. We need to filter all our scheduling, time and energy around loving, caring, training, equipping, and building people. We are here because people matter to God. I am a pastor because people need spiritual leadership in their lives. People need to be my passion.

Matthew 9:36 When [Jesus] saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.

3. Programming
We need to be structured and strategic in our ministry. We need to be intentional and innovative about HOW we best minister to people. Whether it's discipleship, evangelism and outreach, leadership training, follow-up, or creative arts, we need to design programming that will best serve the church in all capacities.

1 Corinthians 14:40 Be sure that everything is done properly and in order.


All three of these components are very important. But it's the order of priority that will determine how effective we are as a church and a leadership team. May we depend on God, love people, and effectively do his work to see Jesus glorified and communities transformed in incredible ways.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

an awesome list... my head and heart feel both the pressure and joy of this responsibility that God has chosen us for... but now i too must look at my priorities... thanks!!!