Wednesday, January 9, 2008

writing a note to a 5th grader

Tonight I bought a card from Walgreens and will be writing a note to a 5th grader.
A note that makes a pastor proud.

A 5th grade girl came up to me Sunday morning in Kids Factory and told me she put $20 bucks in our missions offering container.

I said, "Great!"
She said, "I got $20 from someone at Christmas. I wanted to give it in the offering."

Most of these kids get excited about the 25 cent toys we hand out for games and give-a-ways. Imagine what $20 of Oriental Trading cheap toys could get them. But instead of buying toys or clothes, or music, one fifth-grade girl advanced the kingdom of God.

May we learn from a 5th grader that we can think beyond ourselves. May her $20 advance the kingdom of God in incredible ways. May we empower our children to affect the destiny of others.

By the way, I'm enclosing some money from another country in the card and asking the girl to keep it as a reminder to pray for people across the world who know nothing of Jesus. May she be inspired.

thoughts?

3 comments:

evan said...

post the card. w/o names of course

travis spencer said...

Here's what i wrote:
Thanks for giving to missions! Your offering Sunday morning was a total inspiration to me. You have taught me to give to others, even when we could keep it all for ourselves.

You're a shining example of a young lady that God is proud of. Continue to invest in God's Kingdom. Keep Loving Jesus.

*Take this money from Honduras and keep it. Remember to pray for all the boys and girls around the world that need to hear about Jesus and his love.

Jeff Gill said...

Travis, what a beautiful story and a wonderful response! It is going to mean a lot to her.