Friday, March 14, 2008

Insights from a High Profile Sex Scandal

There is a lot of sleaze, sex and scandal in the media. This week's breaking story of New York Gov. Spitzer's prostitution involvement has claimed all the airtime on cable media and tabloid print journalism.

The story, which I recommend no one dive too deep into because of the immoral content, is quite sad. Especially when I begin to think of the young woman involved in this.

Her name is Ashley.
This was is portion of her MySpace Bio before is was taken down a few days ago.


I live in New York and am on top of the world. Been here since 2004 and I love this city, I love my life here. But, my path has not been easy. When I was 17, I left home. It was my decision and I’ve never looked back. Left my hometown. Left a broken family. Left abuse. Left an older brother who had already split. Left and learned what it was like to have everything, and lose it, again and again. Learned what it was like to wake up one day and have the people you care about most gone. I have been alone. I have abused drugs. I have been broke and homeless. But, I survived, on my own.
Here's some thoughts based on her bio:
  • She told everyone she was on top of the world. We never really know the inner hurts of people. The outside can appear much different from inner reality. There are so many people who are hurting, confused, searching for answers, and needing approval. People want attention. People want to matter. It's a deep longing of humanity. The question...where will they find approval and acceptance?
  • When I was 17, I left home. It was my decision and I’ve never looked back. Left my hometown. Running away from problems doesn't fix the problems. Cutting away from contacts and changing locations doesn't heal the root hurts and wounds. People need to look deeper into their lives to find the WHY of the problems.
  • Left a broken family. Left abuse. Left an older brother who had already split. Family is so important. Parents need to understand that ALL their decisions, choices, habits, and attitudes will always impact their kids. Kids are sponges when it comes to taking on the attributed of their parents. Parents MUST think about their kids before they think about themselves. Parents PLEASE think of your kids first before wrecking their world.
  • I have been alone. I have abused drugs. I have been broke and homeless. But, I survived, on my own. What does it mean to "survive"? We need to lives our lives to thrive and be significant, not just survive. Living to be significant is important. Finding a cause is crucial. Serving others and improving someone else's world are great ways to become significant. Can anyone really survive on their own. We were created to be with people. We are created for community. We must surround ourselves around people who love us and will give us Godly counsel.
There are always life lessons in tragedy. The New York Governor situation is a human tragedy--not a political story. Its a story of people searching. People wanting to be accepted, loved and fulfilled. It's a story of hurting people looking for answers.

May we learn from these stories. May we draw on God's wisdom to live the life he designed for us to live. And may we influence others to do the same.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are certainly a lot of I's coming off that plan.

She just wants to make it on her own, nobody else help so that in the end she can say, I did it on my own and I don't owe anybody anything.

Jesus Christ died on the cross for her so that she doesn't have to live life on her own.

Sara said...

Another sad fact here is that Spitzer held himself up to be a defender of justice and yet he abused both his power and his family. Perhaps he was fighting for the justice of others because he couldn't fight his own demons? Did you see the look on his wife's face? What about the rest of his family? When it comes down to it, I hope that everyone involved can find peace and healing. (Note: although I do not identify as a Christian, I believe in the redemptive power of faith.)

Anonymous said...

Amen. I don't have much more to add to it.