Thursday, May 8, 2008

We all make mistakes

In 1999 (almost ten years ago) I was a volunteer youth staff member working with Matt Wilkie at a church in Springfield, MO. As a youth ministry we took a fun trip to a theme park called Worlds of Fun in Kansas City.

Matt is the guy who says the funny, yet appropriately awkward, comments to strangers. Like, when we were traveling in Poland and trying to buy tickets at a train station, he would just keep saying, "We aren't from around here." At Walmart, he always comments to the checkout person about the latest tabloid trash news and gets their opinion on the matter.

At the theme park Worlds of Fun, there is a drink station called Pagoda Soda. Matt went up to the cashier and ordered a "Pagoda soda."

"We sell Coke products" was the response back.

Matt replied, "Well, I'll take whatever is on your sign.. P A G O D A soda. I can wait if you are out." (This conversation took place for at least 3-5 minutes.)

Then we watched a high dive competition. The guys in their pink Spedos did a great job--especially the little framed man. So as we were leaving the show and shaking their hands, Matt gave the little pink-Spedo wearing guy a big bear hug and tells him he did a great job.

By this point in the day I'm thinking to myself.... "I can do this. I can be this funny."

Then it began to rain. We decided to leave the park and head to the mall. By chance it stopped raining, we could come back to the theme park.

So as were leaving, you had to get your hand stamped for re-enrty.

"Here's my chance," I thought to myself.

(Let me set the scene: It's raining. The guy is wearing a poncho. Everyone is trying to get through the hand stamping area.)

I walk up to the guy. He tries to stamp my hand. ... I move it.
He tries again. ...I move it again.
He tries again... I say... "Too slow..."

By this time a security guard walks over to me.

"Is there a problem here?"

I see that I went overboard. I say no. I get my hand stamped. I leave the park.

As soon as I walk through the gates all the youth staff and teenagers jump all over me and say, "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID THAT."

I think.. "What, I was just trying to be funny."

They say, "Didn't you see that he was mentally challenged?"

*Cold Sweat. Awkward feeling running through my bones. I feel horrible.

"I DIDN'T KNOW!"

That was ten years ago. Yesterday I pulled a similar mistake. We all deserve to make a mistake every 10 years. I'm due for another in 2018.

(By the way, I deleted Wednesday's picture post. Like the hand stamper story, it's one of those "oops...I wish that wouldn't have happened" moments"

4 comments:

Jason Davis said...

Sounds like you need to be in a special needs for a while ministry and learn a few things.

At least you get some time to live it down before it happens again.

Is special needs the right thing to say??

Matt said...

Memories...good stuff. And maybe we can try to avert another faux pas a decade from now. It was clear to all that you really didn't know and never would've done either of those things. See ya soon...

Elgin Combs said...

LOL. That's priceless. And I have to say, the picture still is funny to me, for two reasons. 1) when combined with the title: "Eat & Go." and 2)The boy was still wearing his shorts. By the way, I understand if you don't publish my comment! Better luck in 2018!

Aaron B. Allison said...

Awesome.. horrible story.